Before you update, the best practice is to:
- Always check our update notes
- Always backup the files and the database. In case something goes wrong with the server, you could use the backup to revert to the previous state. For more information on how to backup, check the official documentation.
- Do not keep older copies of the theme inside the WordPress themes folder
- Reset the cache after you update
- Update the plugins. The theme’s required and optional plugins are included in the theme files inside the ../IonMag/plugins folder or theme panel > plugins section.
Update the theme via FTP
- Step 1 – Place your site in maintenance mode. For this, you could use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, etc.)
- Step 2 – Go to “your site/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your IonMag theme folder by saving it to your computer, or you can choose to delete it. Your content will not be lost, but please note that if you have made modifications to the theme’s code, they will be lost in this process. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Step 3 – Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Step 4 – Inside Filezilla, navigate to the WordPress theme directory “your site/wp-content/themes.”
- Step 5 – Retrieve the IonMag.zip file from HERE to get the updated IonMag theme folder.
- Step 6 – Drag and drop the new “IonMag” theme folder into “your site/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
- Step 7 – Update the plugins. The theme’s both required and optional plugins are included in the theme files inside the ../IonMag/plugins folder or theme panel > plugins section.
Update the theme via WordPress
- Step 1 – Deactivate the current “IonMag” theme from the Appearance > Themes section by simply activating a different theme. Once you activate a different theme, delete the IonMag theme. Don’t worry; your content will not be lost.
- Step 2 – Download the IonMag.zip file from HERE (this is the theme file you need to install)
- Step 3 – Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme > Upload the “IonMag.zip” and click on the “Install Now” button.
- Step 4 – After your upload is finished, choose Activate the theme.
- Step 5 – Update the plugins. The theme’s both required and optional plugins are included in the package inside the ../IonMag/plugins folder or theme panel > plugins section.